How this guide raises your game
1. More informed on innovation ideas, purchase decisions and brand perception.
2. Understand qualitative research methods.
3. How qualitative results shape marketing activities.
From your research brief (see the market research process) you should have a main research question. When this starts with “why”, qualitative research will most likely be the recommended way to answer the question.
Qualitative research (often shorted to ‘qual’) is based on getting rich quality of information about your consumers.
It looks to go deep with a relatively small number of consumers rather than go broad with a large number of consumers. It will probe to find underlying attitudes and behaviours that can generate hypotheses and new insights.
When you look at how to use qualitative research for your business, you should have in mind one of these three research goals.
- Identify innovation or new product ideas based on finding unmet needs or issues with an existing solution.
- Understand drivers and barriers around the way existing purchasing decisions currently take place.
- Uncover perceptions of your brand and your competitor brands identity and activation.